Monday, June 27, 2011

my life as a professional volunteer

my title as a professional volunteer first started out as a joke among the people i worked with at church. at the time i was working with both the high school and young adult ministries so i was in the office pretty much on a daily basis. i was never one to turn down an opportunity to help wherever there was a need.at that time, i was also helping in my mom's first grade classroom on days i wasn't substitute teaching. it was in those times of volunteering that i really cultivated my passion for people and having extra time to travel didn't hurt either. 

the past 3 years as a professional volunteer has set me up to take on my next great adventure. i will be going to india to do what i love: love people and learn language and culture from them. yes as a volunteer. along with volunteering to live along the poorest of the poor, i am also volunteering to get all kinds of fun vaccines including yellow fever, typhoid fever and rabies along with taking malaria pills. it seems like such a small price to pay in order to do what i love. 

stay tuned for more fun tales from the professional volunteer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment