Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Peru: life along the coast

peru has a long history of being a conquered people but the great incan joke is that the city of lima sits along the coast in a valley that keep the city covered by thick coastal fog and clouds most of the year. they have told me that in the winter it never really rains but there is a thick fog that looms in the air and causes clothes to mold as they hang in the closet. walking around the city in flip flops and capris made it feel so much like home as far as weather goes but that is about where the similarities end. the architecture reminded me of the streets i strolled in spain and the driving reminded me that cars have the right of way everywhere outside southern california. one thing that took some getting used to was the lack of stop signs and instead there were giant speed bumps at small intersections which forced people to slow down when going through the intersection. it was things like that make me smile as i reflect on my time in lima.

as soon as i walked out of the immigration area at the airport i was greeted with smiles and besos from pedro and lily who serve as local staff for palabra hecha hombre (word made flesh peru). they asked about my time in bolivia as well as little details about my life so they could get to know me right off the bat. answering questions in a second language after taking an early morning flight caused me some serious doubts about my spanish speaking ability. palabra hecha hombre's ministry has changed and evolved over the course of its 15 year history but it's focus remains on serving among the poor in lima. i spent a lot of time with anna, lily and pedro who are the peruvians on staff as they showed me around important landmarks for their ministry such as where they would provide meals to street kids or host soccer games for the kids. they explained the ministry as we walked down back alleys and markets where they would meet with friends. i could see the passion they had for their friends to strive for something better and they would tell me stories of street kids choosing to go back home where they would be safe and have the opportunity to go back to school. i was fortunate enough to be invited into the house of a friend and listen to her tell me her journey from the streets to a home so her kids could strive for something better. she glowed as she talked about how palabra hecha hombre helped her along the way and she was able to see how God was working in her life to believe in the hope of something more. she is so passionate about sharing that hope with others. at one point she looked at me and said i looked familiar to which pedro responded that it was from a vision and that was confirmation that i should come to serve in peru. we all had a good laugh. i was blown away by the way the peruvian staff allowed me to become part of the team for the short time i was there. as i left, they gave me a figurine of a group of people holding up a cross. anna explained that the cross is what brings us together to work towards a common goal and it doesn't matter where i end up because i will always be part of the team that seeks to serve God wherever i am. it was a reminder that regardless of where any of us are geographically, we are all part of one body that seeks to serve God wherever we are.

i have felt so loved by both communities that making a decision is that much harder. i can see how my gifts and talents would be used for both ministries and aspects of each city that would be life giving. now comes that hard part of processing through my time in bolivia and peru to see where God is leading me to serve long term. i appreciate prayers as i seek God's will for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment