Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Joy in the Little Things


Life at camp is usually a million miles an hour. We are usually working from 7am and don't go to bed till 1 or 2am on average. I love it and could not imagine a better place to spend 3 of my last 6 months before I head to Peru. I get to sit and listen to high school students as they process through what their faith really means. I also see how God works in and through youth groups as they have a week free of distractions. One of my favorite things each week is taking my team on a night hike up to Inspiration Point where I challenge them to sit in silent awe of God's beauty in the mountains and stars and realize they are more important than even the most beautiful, star-filled night. At first the counselors and students are hesitant and reluctant when I pitch out the idea because they don't want to hike or they would rather sleep. I convince them that it will be a good thing and let God do all the work once we get up there. Nuggets of joy are what I look for when I am tired or exhausted and surprisingly that is enough. I have an awesome group this week from El Paso, TX on my team and they have been a huge encouragement in the way they love each other well. This week, I have been more aware of the fact that God does not need me in order to work in the lives of the campers. So many times, I feel that I am doing nothing when I share my story or when I am eating dinner with my students but then there will be nuggets of joy such as a really cool conversation about how God is working in their week at camp or a student will ask me about going into full time missions. Nuggets of joy are gifts from God. I am grateful that God has allowed me to work at Forest Home for a second summer and there is no where I would rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment