Thursday, November 20, 2014

Month One

I arrived a month ago with so much excitement and anticipation with a mix of fear and anxiety. I have taken on a few big projects that I am excited to share with you as they come to fruition.  I had big picture ideas of how I could use my gifts to help Sari Bari, and I was looking forward to jumping in knowing my time here would fly by. In the last month, I have enjoying tapping into the marketing part of my brain which has been life giving as I get to dream and brainstorm new ideas for getting Sari Bari more exposure online. It has been almost 6 years since I was an intern at an ad agency which was an exhausting time of life but I realize how much I miss the business world. I love getting to plan and dream as I sit among the women which makes me want to work harder to help spread awareness of Sari Bari products and programs. I am also getting to tap into my teacher side by teaching conversational English with the managers. These women are all amazing leaders and I am excited to spend intentional time with them.

I have danced much. I have cried real tears. I have been frustrated. I have seen injustice. I have been welcomed into community. I have read books. I have enjoyed the benefits of technology. I have enjoyed morning coffee. I have built new friendships. I have eaten street food. I have explored new places. I have been force fed. I have been loved well.

I am looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving with my community here. I am excited to attend the Sari Bari Christmas parties where much dancing will happen. I am so grateful for technology so I can be a part of Christmas back home. I am grateful for the strong community here and their willingness to take me in for the holidays. I am forever thankful for my community back home who is reading updates, sending packages, supporting me financially and most importantly praying for each day of my journey in Kolkata. 

No comments:

Post a Comment