Sunday, March 15, 2015

Month Five

Five months. I have grown to love this cray, chaotic city which I have called home for the last five months. Looking back, I thought there was no end in sight, but now it seems like my departure date is coming all too quickly. The last month has been full of busy days and restful weekends. I have sat beside the ladies as they sew. I have checked and packed bags for shipments. I have been checked for lice and had a stomach bug take me out of the game for a few days. I will leave all the craziness and chaos in one short month. I am looking forward to having a washing machine and hot running water but I will miss the simplicity of life in Kolkata. 

The ladies are starting to ask if I am coming back after I go home. I just shake my head and say "ashbo na". I do not know what the future holds but I know that it was a gift to come back to this place. I have cherished the time I was able to spend here. I look forward to partnering with Sari Bari in the future whether it is from the States or moving to Kolkata if that is where God leads me. As I look to the next month, I know there will be some really hard goodbyes and see you laters. My time in Kolkata has been a gift and I am grateful for everyone who has supported me along the way. 

Yesterday, we celebrated Sari Bari's 9th birthday by taking everyone to a wax museum and big park just outside the city. The ladies all wore their "fancies" and there was a general excitement in the air as we all piled into Sumos (a Jeep like vehicle for hauling people). It was amazing to watch the ladies faces light up as they took pictures with wax statues of famous Indians. They would come grab my hand and drag me over to take a picture of them standing next to a famous Bollywood star or Gandhi. It was like watching kids take in Disneyland for the first time. After the museum, we walked across the street to a park for lunch. We spent the afternoon laying in the grass and watching the women ride bikes and boats. They were smiling from ear to ear as they rode bikes for the first time and the laughter as they struggled to keep the bike upright. Once the sun went down, we sat and watched a fountain light show on the lake. The ladies were singing along with the music and clapped as new lazer shapes or colors appeared. These are the glimpses of joy and laughter I will never forget. It was a gift to be a part of a celebration which was 9 years in the making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment