Sunday, October 16, 2011

my birthday....indian style

let me start by saying that it is the little things in life that make me smile. one way that we release is by sometimes being ridiculous on the metro. last monday that looked like 3 white girls lip syncing and dancing on the metro all to different songs. in the last few days it has looked like smiling at women and kids on the street. yesterday the little old lady that works the dokon (store) on the corner has a conversation with me (in my broken bangla) about what food i was bringing home. it is these little interactions that redeem this city. i spent the first part of my time here trying to fight my way through each day but now i see that instead of fighting, i need to go with the flow and find joy in the little things.

that being said, yesterday and today i found joy in the malls of kolkata. in my travels, i have found that i feel at home in malls because i see it as a place i can simple exist without having to fight or be asked for smaller bills when paying for something. yesterday me and the roomies went to get lunch at the food court (i had a kfc veggie burger, fries and a large pepsi) then went to see the three musketeers (the only movies playing in english). i bought myself some awesome blue puffy pants from fabindia. for dinner, my awesome family here made me puri (think sopapillas but not sweet) and my awesome roomies made me the indian version of strawberry shortcake (butter cake, vanilla ice cream and imported strawberry jelly). it was a memorable day to start off my 26th year. today we got to celebrate with melissa and beth at coffee bean which was such a treat to find. they have an awesome veggie lasagne. it is so cool to feel loved when im so far away from everything familiar. im looking forward to my 26th year and how God will use me this year.

1 comment:

  1. OMG,,,i am so late,,,but Happy B-day.! i know --- i know.. oh wht kind of friend am i ???. o my GOD !!!. sorrry for being soooo late NAT...

    ReplyDelete