Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas in Kolkata

Merry Christmas from Kolkata! This was my second Christmas in Kolkata. Three years ago, Christmas represented the end of my time in Kolkata. This year, Christmas is not even the halfway point of my time here. The community here takes the time to celebrate well and includes us in the festivities. We decorated Christmas cookies, sang Christmas carols, watched Christmas movies, opened stockings, ate cinnamon rolls and danced with friends. We talked about the traditions we have back home. We incorporated some traditions into the holiday plans here. It was a time of laughter and gifts, but also sadness as we were all away from family and friends for the holidays. I thought the second time around it would be easier to be away from family but it was harder knowing my immediate family was spending Christmas together in Arkansas this year. It was hard being away from friends as they gathered to celebrate Christmas together. It is hard not having the modern convince of hot water or central heating when the temperature dips into the 50s at night and our cement apartment is freezing.

I am grateful to be outside the consumerism which surrounds the holidays in the States. I enjoy finding ways to celebrate with new friends here and learn about Christmas traditions from different cultures. It was a gift to be a part of the Sari Bari Christmas party and see the ladies dressed in their finest clothes. At each event, there was a sense of joy which permeated the whole space. It is the joy we having in knowing Christmas represents Jesus being born to bring hope to all mankind. It is this joy I cling to as I continue to do life amidst the chaos.

I am so thankful for the packages, texts, emails and messages wishing me a Merry Christmas. It reminds me that I am not alone in this. I have a community back home praying for me and encouraging me along the way. I am looking forward to ringing into 2015 with my Kolkata community.  

No comments:

Post a Comment