Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Daily Roller Coaster of Life in Kolkata

This week has been a very full week. I started teaching English to a few of the ladies. Sari Bari has a huge order going out in January. I wrestled with the very real reality of the limited funds in my support account and that meant moving up my return date. My niece was born this week and I am excited to see her when I get back. Multiple men "accidentally" ran into my butt with their hand. I received a package of goodies from my parents and a sweet Christmas card from a good friend.

Each day in Kolkata is exhausting. The path I walk to and from work is along the edge of the biggest red light area in Kolkata. It hurts my heart to see women lining the streets and alleys waiting for their next customer. It takes a toll on my mind when men are constantly looking at me and trying to get my attention or "accidentally" running into me to get a quick feel. My body is filled with pollution (its three times worse than LA) which results in getting colds more often and generally feeling tired. Some nights are sleepless due to the street noise outside the window or the coughing when I have a cold. 

Each day in Kolkata is also beautiful. I get to sit amongst some amazing, beautiful women that have chosen freedom. They share their food with me when they think I did not bring enough food to be full. (Force feeding is a love language in Kolkata.) The laughter that rings out when I do something ridiculous like dance or the facial expression when they watch me try Indian candy or sweets. The pride they have in the products they are working on. Their beautiful voices that ring out as they sing worship songs each morning and the beauty of a child singing that same song when she visit her mom in the afternoon. 

Each days has it's highs and lows. Some days the highs out number the lows. Some days the lows out number the highs. Every day I know that I am held tightly by a God who is bigger than all of the highs and lows. He has lead me to this city for a period of time and I know He is my constant companion as I walk through the hard parts of each day. I praise Him in the good things. I am thankful for a community of believes that prays for each other as we all walk along the path God sets before us. I am grateful for the encouraging letters people have written. It makes the hard days better. I look forward to the ways God will show up throughout the rest of my time here. 

"This I know, that God is for me. 
In God, whose word I praise, 
in the Lord, whose name I praise, 
in God I trust, I shall not be afraid. 
What can man do to me?

I must perform my my vows to you, O God; 
I will render than offerings to you. 
For you have delivered my soul from death, 
yes, my feet from falling, 
that I may walk before God 
in the light of life"

Psalm 56:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment