Friday, September 13, 2013

Learning to follow

From a young age kids are taught to be leaders not followers. This often carries into our adult life and the way we take charge of our dreams for the future. We do everything we can to set ourselves up for a comfortable, self-sufficient life.We make plans and hope that God will bless the plans we have made. Jesus often said, "Follow me." He said this to fishermen. He said this to rich rulers. He says this to us.

Following is something that seems frightening and unpredictable because it means that I am giving up control and holding my hopes and dreams with open hands. God has called me to Peru and I am choosing to follow. I compare to the team building exercise I did with my partner at summer camp last year. I was blind folded while I let my partner (who I had known a whole 3 days) lead me through the sky trail which is three levels of rope obstacles. There were times I didn't trust where he was telling me to step so I would stumble. I know I am guilty of doing the same thing with God. I tell Him to lead me but I can't help trying to feel my way around or take a step away from where He is leading.

I know that this journey so far has brought up so many insecurities within myself like the possibility of giving up marriage and not having enough money in my support account to go. This journey will involve being broken daily for my friends. This journey will involve missing milestones in the lives of my friends at home. I am tightly grasping onto God as I follow Him into the streets of Lima.


No comments:

Post a Comment