Thursday, September 19, 2013

October Prayer Letter

4 months....17 weeks....122 days. It seems like such a short time. I have 122 days to prepare my heart for this new season. I have 17 weeks to say so many goodbyes. I have 4 months to raise support. If I let my mind focus on all the things I have to do, it becomes overwhelming and I feel defeated. I was talking to friend over froyo this week who was wrestling with trusting God in taking steps towards leading a short term missions trip to Uganda this summer. I loved hearing her heart for the deaf culture and her desire to serve in Uganda. In many ways, she was giving up on the idea before she had taken one step on the path God set before her. I realized that I have taken the first several steps down the path and God has been faithful in each step. I realize that when I focus on the logistics of leaving for three years (or longer), I am taking my eyes off God and feel lost along the path. I know God will provide. 

I had the opportunity to Skype last week with the team I will be working with in Lima. It was so good to hear their voices and see their faces. I was able to hear their excitement as they talked about the part I will play once I get down there. These are people who love God and understand what it means to be the hands and feet to the most vulnerable in Lima. They made fun of me for drinking a huge mug of coffee and was glad that I hadn't lost all of my Spanish. I feel loved and cared for by this community that will welcome me when I arrive in Lima. I am grateful for these people as they pray and plan to come alongside me in this next season. 

Each conversation I have with friends/family/acquaintances leaves me more and more encouraged that I am where I am supposed be right now and Peru is where I will live and invest in people for this next season. It has been a learning process along the way to live in community and communicate my needs to allow others to help me along the journey. One need I have is for financial support. I am asking for people that would be willing/able to donate each month to help cover my monthly budget. Any amount ($5-$100) monthly would help me greatly to follow the path laid before me. I know monthly giving is not an option for many so one time donations would also be a huge help. Each donation would be a huge blessing. I would also love to grab coffee and chat more specifically about what I will be doing in Lima. 

I leave you with this final thought that have encouraged me along in my journey. From The Inner Voice of Love by Henri Nouwen: 

You are facing a real spiritual battle. But do not be afraid. You are not alone. Those who have guided you during this period are not leaving you. Their prayers and support will be with you wherever you go. Keep them close to your heart so they can guide you as you make your choices.
Remember, you are held safe. You are loved. You are protected. You are in communion with God and with those whom God has sent you. What is of God will last. It belongs to the eternal life. Choose it, and it will be yours. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment