Saturday, September 14, 2013

Time

Every day I run into someone that asks me when I am leaving. It is a reminder that I have just over four months before I move to Peru. I still have a check off list that needs to be done before I leave. I still have so many goodbyes that I am dreading. I still have financial support to raise. I still have trips to take. I still have bridesmaid dresses to wear. I still have coffee to drink with friends. I still have a birthday to celebrate. I still have memories to be made to people I love. 

I am learning there really are only 24 hours in a day no matter how hard I wish and pray for more hours. I have tried to make the most of each day. I have gone to San Diego and dreamed with friends about life overseas. I spent a morning with a friend playing with her son as he showed me every toy he could drag off the shelf. I sat at Cheesecake factory for three hours with a friend as we talked about our passion for social justice. I sat with a friend at Starbucks talking about her fears and excitement of studying in South Africa. I drove 500 miles in a weekend to celebrate a bachelorette party in LA and a bridal shower in Sylmar. I shared my fears and insecurities about being single for the rest of my life over coffee and Chipotle with a friend who felt the same way. I had lunch and an delicious ancho chili mocha with a friend who listened and asked questions about my dreams for life beyond my move to Peru. I have had many more conversations over food and coffee with friends who have encouraged me as I prepare to leave. I am cherishing every moment and each conversation. Let me know if you want to grab coffee. 

My love language is quality time so I am doing my best to spend as much time as possible with people before I leave. One of my fears in leaving is loosing the friendships I have built over the past few months as well as the ones I have had for years. I am so thankful for modern technology which makes it easier to stay connected through email and Skype but sometimes a hug from a friend is the comfort I need on a bad day. I am so thankful for the community God has given me here. I am trusting Him to provide community in Lima. 

This is a prayer that was spoken over us during a silent day retreat in Kolkata. I love the idea of standing on tiptoe as I grasp on to God as He leads me. 

On tiptoe we stand, Lord Jesus,
eagerly waiting
your full revelation, 
always expecting you
to come some more

Our hands and hearts
are open to your grace. 
Our lives still waiting for the 
fullness of your presence. 
We are are those who have been promised
a kingdom and we can never forget. 
Yet we have a foot in both worlds
and so we often stumble. 

But still we stand on tiptoe. 
Owning our kingdom-loving hearts
and our earth-eyes
we lean forward and hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment