Tuesday, September 6, 2011

bangla jani na.....

so i just finished my second day of work here in kolkata. yesterday was an amazing day that included sitting next to a eunuch on an auto who tapped me on top of the head, the AC (air conditioned) train on the metro and buying toilet paper at spencer's. i also got to start my training blanket so i can start to relate to the women who spend most of their days sewing blankets. i can already tell im going tell my back may hate me in a month or two. the women spend all day on the concrete floor sewing with breaks for devotions and tea in the morning, lunch, and tea in the afternoons. it is such a joyful place to be and i am looking forward to actually being able to start conversations with them as my bangla improves. it was so cool to sit with the women during lunch as i ate my bhat and dal and saw the love that each of the women has for each other. it was a great image of all of God's people sitting around sharing and laughing and investing in life. i am looking forward to being able to participate in life here.

on the train today one of the crazy/funny/frustrating things that happened was that i said "bangla jani na" (i dont speak bengali) they started asking more questions and told so many things i just dont understand. cant wait till i can actually have a semi-normal conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment