Friday, September 2, 2011

Kolkata, the city with constant honking

Greetings from the beautiful, wonderful city of Kolkata. as i am typing this, my feet are covered in street junk because it has been raining pretty much all day. i have had 4 days to think through and digest this city. four days into my adventure i have already rode an auto, bus, boat, metro, and walked a LOT. i have also tasted my way through some paneer, nan, dal and of course rice. i have bought some kurtas and pierced my nose in the hopes of fitting in. i have seen dogs with open sores and plenty of people begging. the beauty is in the smiles of the women i will be working with when they gave me the indian name sujata. today we worked with mentally and physically handicapped children at shishu bahavan (Mother teresa's home). I have almost been run over almost on a daily basis but at least they use their horns as a warning before they actually run people over. :) i am looking forward to settling in to my new life. bengali lessons start tonight so hopefully the next time i post something i can at lease throw in some bengali. so far i love this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment