Saturday, October 25, 2014

Familiar and Foreign at the Same Time

As I have explored and engaged the city, I have noticed the subtle differences such as new, clear signs on the metro as well as less spitting on the platform. There are more noticeable differences such as an influx of luxury cars fighting their way through Kolkata traffic and a new mall full of luxury brands which I could never afford even as an expat. It has been three years since I was last in Kolkata and there are so many ways it feels so familiar while feeling so foreign at the same time. There is the familiar hardness of a city where people live on the street and beg to get their daily needs. I feel myself harden as I join the crowds shuffling on and off the metro and hear fighting fill the lanes of the red light area. I fell the pull of western comforts of coffee shops when the stench of the streets becomes overwhelming. On the other hand, I feel my heart soften as I work alongside the women at Sari Bari. I loosen up as I begin to see familiar, friendly faces around the city. In many ways, city which seems so familiar and different is quickly becoming home.

I am grateful for the past week of little responsibility as I readjusted and became reacquainted with the city. It has been really fun sitting with Sarah and talking about the reality of business in a foreign culture . I have asked questions about what has worked and what has failed over the years. I am excited to take ownership of projects and continue conversations to help Sari Bari thrive in the future. Starting Monday, I will learn more about my my role for my time here. There have been a few conversations about how I can help but Monday things become my job. It will help establish a routine for each week. 

I ask for your prayers as I continue to settle into the community and my job at Sari Bari. Pray for Kolkata as a whole during the festival season over the next month. Pray that Jesus would be shown through me as I engage the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment