Thursday, October 30, 2014

Settling into the City of Joy

Kolkata is a city that leaves you drained. It is a city filled with noise, smells, and extremes. On the way to work each morning, I see people sleeping on the street, children headed to school, people huddling around the cha wallah getting their morning cup of tea, an array of vehicles honking and women working the line. I keep my head down carefully selecting each step navigating the variety of waste and puddles of unknown substances littering the streets. I begin each morning with a few cups of coffee and my Bible because I know by the end of that day I will be drained. Tonight my dinner was a handful of almonds, two chocolate sandwich cookies and a coke zero because I did not have the energy to cook.

One of my favorite things about working with Sari Bari is the sense of community among the women and the way they offer me a glimpse of the love they have to give. The greeting of "Joi Jesu" rings out as they greet me and embrace my lack of Bengali. They share their snacks (a small meal) with me over cha. I have been in the city for more than a week and had not yet gone to the south unit so today when I entered in the building numerous smiles greeted me. They remember me and asked where my other friends were and argued about which of my Bengali names to use. These are the moments I am filled up throughout the day.

Time seems to go fast and slow all at the same time in this city. It is hard to believe it has already and only been a week. I have loved seeing all the ways the city has changed and transformed over the last three years while still feeling like I know my around and where the best coffee shops are to relax and read. I have jumped into working at Sari Bari and I am looking forward to taking ownership of a couple big projects as well as teaching English. It is a full schedule and I love every moment. Here are a few things you can be praying for this week: continued health has been a huge blessing so far, learning Bengali so I can build relationships with the women and our community in Kolkata. 

3 comments:

  1. Loving reading about your adventure Natalie!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Nattie! Praying for you as you build relationships and settle into this pace of life. Thank you for keeping us updated. I love reading your story! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you on your amazing journey!��

    ReplyDelete